In the spring of 1897 the Rev. G. Schunke boarded a boat in Seattle headed for Tacoma. He found a small group of Germans interested in starting a church. This group would eventually become the First German Baptist Church of Tacoma. The certificate of incorporation was granted October 15, 1900.
The first church building was purchased from the Danish Lutherans at South 15th and Tacoma Avenue. This building became too small in a few short years so a new building was erected a few blocks away on the corner of 21st and South J Streets and was ready for dedication on the designated date of May 26, 1907.
During the years at those two locations the following nine Pastors were involved in preaching the Gospel: The Reverends G. Schunke, C.E. Kliewer, G. Eichler, J. A. H. Wuttke, A. A. Blandau, A. Hussman, G. A. Land, W. C. Damrau, H. J. Wilke and Robert Hess.
During the season Rev. Hess was minister, plans for a new building were discussed. This became a reality when property was purchased on the corner of South 65th and C Street. The parsonage was built prior to the church so the Pastor could be near the site. The present building was erected and dedicated the Fall of 1957. In the years to follow several changes have been made. Throughout the years there has been remodeling, additions, and the purchase of a second parsonage and property on C street for additional parking.
During the years at 6511 South C street the following eight ministers have served Calvary: The Reverends Robert Hess, Donald Ganstrom, Edgar Wesner, Ervin Gerlitz, Donald Burnett, Robert Brown, Thomas Tate, and Philip Long.
In addition to the above, eleven men have been on staff as either associate Pastors or youth workers.