Sermon on Sunday, February 8, 2015 by Pastor Thomas Tate
THE LOVE OF JESUS
MICAH’S PRAYER – THE MAKING OF A GODLY MAN
- Lord I pray that you would develop him in his heart, mind, body, soul and spirit. Setting him apart to serve you and bring glory to your name in all of his ways and all of his days. Father I pray that you would bless him in his knowledge of you and give him the strength, stature and wisdom of Solomon I pray that you would give him the faithfulness of Abraham and the humility of Moses. I also pray Father that you would bless him with the righteousness of Job and the eagerness of Isaiah. I pray that you would give him the heart after you like David and the ears of Samuel that are so attentive to Your voice. I pray Lord that You would give him the propheticness of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, the zeal of Paul and the boldness of Peter. I also pray God that you would bless him with the gift of encouragement like Barnabas and the teachability of Timothy. But above all I pray that you would give him a heart of love, compassion, grace, mercy and truth like Yours Jesus.
What Is Love?
- Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
Love Is Patient
- Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all transgressions.
- But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Love Is Kind
- “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Love Is Not Jealous
- “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
Love Does Not Brag and Isn’t Arrogant
- And a leper came to Him and bowed down before Him, and said, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. And Jesus said to him, “See that you tell no one; but go, show yourself to the priest and present the offering that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
Love Doesn’t Act Unbecomingly
- Do not sharply rebuke an older man, but rather appeal to him as a father, to the younger men as brothers, the older women as mothers, and the younger women as sisters, in all purity.
Love Doesn’t Seek It’s Own
- Jesus answered, “If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me
- “Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. “Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.”
- “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Love Is Not Provoked
- But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem. When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.” And they went on to another village.
- They did not find any, even though many false witnesses came forward. But later on two came forward, and said, “This man stated, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to rebuild it in three days.’ ” The high priest stood up and said to Him, “Do You not answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?” But Jesus kept sile
- Then they spat in His face and beat Him with their fists; and others slapped Him, and said, “Prophesy to us, You Christ; who is the one who hit You?”
Love Doesn’t Remember Wrongs Suffered
- “And their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.
- When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left. But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.
- Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
- “My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”
Only Through Jesus Can We Love Like This
- Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.
- In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.