Sermon on Sunday, February 15, 20115 by Pastor Thomas Tate
Micah’s Prayer, The Making of A Godly Man
Jesus I thank you for the gift that you have given me in my son Micah and the joy that he brings to this family. Lord I pray that you would develop him in his heart, mind, body, soul and spirit. Setting him apart to serve you and bring glory to your name in all of his ways and all of his days. Father I pray that you would bless him in his knowledge of you and give him the strength, stature and wisdom of Solomon. I pray that you would give him the faithfulness of Abraham and the humility of Moses. I also pray Father that you would bless him with the righteousness of Job and the eagerness of Isaiah. I pray that you would give him the heart after You like David and the ears of Samuel that are so attentive to Your voice. I pray Lord that you would give him the propheticness of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, the zeal of Paul and the boldness of Peter. I also pray God that you would bless him with the gift of encouragement like Barnabas and the teachability of Timothy. But above all I pray that you would give him a heart of love, compassion, grace, mercy and truth like Yours Jesus. Lord Jesus I pray that you would use him to further Your Kingdom and bring glory to Your name by leading many people to the saving knowledge of the love that You have for them. In Jesus name Amen.
Solomon’s Dad Prayed For Him
- [David prayed] “O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, our fathers, preserve this forever in the intentions of the heart of Your people, and direct their heart to You; and give to my son Solomon a perfect heart to keep Your commandments, Your testimonies and Your statutes, and to do them all, and to build the temple, for which I have made provision.”
If God Offered To Grant You One Wish For Yourself What Would You Ask For?
- In Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream at night; and God said, “Ask what you wish me to give you.”
The Wisdom Of Solomon
- “Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king in place of my father David, yet I am but a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. “Your servant is in the midst of Your people which You have chosen, a great people who are too many to be numbered or counted. “So give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?”
The Faithfulness Of Abraham
- And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him…By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.
The Faithfulness Of Abraham
- and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God.
The Humility Of Moses
- (Now the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth.)
- “Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.” But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?”
The Righteousness Of Job
- There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil… The LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man fearing God and turning away from evil. And he still holds fast his integrity, although you incited Me against him to ruin him without cause.”
The Eagerness Of Isaiah
- Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
The Heart Of David
- “After He had removed him, He raised up David to be their king, concerning whom He also testified and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My heart, who will do all My ’
The Attentiveness Of Samuel
- Then the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for Your servant is listening.” The Lord said to Samuel…
The Propheticness Of Ezekiel
- “But you shall speak My words to them whether they listen or not, for they are rebellious.
- But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
The Zeal Of Paul
- “For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and His ears attend to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts
The Boldness Of Peter
- And when they had summoned them, they commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said to them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge; for we cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard
The Encouragement Of Barnabas
- Now Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means Son of Encouragement), and who owned a tract of land, sold it and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
- Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
The Teachability Of Timothy
- This command I entrust to you, Timothy, my son, in accordance with the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you fight the good fight, keeping faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and suffered shipwreck in regard to their faith.
It’s The Fool Who Is Unteachable
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7
- The wise of heart will receive commands, But a babbling fool will be ruined.
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel. Proverbs 12:15
- A fool rejects his father’s discipline, But he who regards reproof is sensible.
Full Of Grace And Truth
- And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and
The Love Of Jesus
- In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.
Leading Many To The Lord
- “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
We Must Be Useful Vessels
- Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.
A Father’s Plea To His Son
- “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.