Sermon on Sunday, February 22, 2015 By Pastor Thomas Tate
LIVE LIFE PASSIONATELY
The Passion of Christ
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
- But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- Roman 5:8
- I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
GOD PASSIONATELY LOVES YOU
- “Indeed, He loves the people; all Your holy ones are in Your hand, and they followed in Your steps; everyone receives of Your words”.
- Deuteronomy 33:3
- Love – Châbab – to love fervently, cherish.
- Fervent – having or displaying a passionate intensity.
We Are To Be Rooted In Love
- For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
To Be All You Can Be, You Need To Grow In Your knowledge Of His Love
- may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.
God’s Love Has Been Poured Into Our Heart
- and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
The Greatest Command Is To Be Passionate About God
- One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “What commandment is the foremost of all?” Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’
A Passion For Christ Leads To A Passion For His Word
- Your word is very pure, therefore Your servant loves it.
- “He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.
A Love For Jesus Is Necessary In Understanding The Scriptures
- “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life “I do not receive glory from men; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.
A Love For God Leads Us To Loving Others
- Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.
A Passion for Christ Creates A Love For The Lost
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life”. John 3:16
- This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:3-4
- “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Luke 19:8
Jesus Desires That We Have Passionate Love For Him
- ‘But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. ‘Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place—unless you repent.
God Test Our Love
- “If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the Lord your God is testing you to find out if you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul “You shall follow the Lord your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him.
God Supports Us Based On Our Love For Him
- “For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.