Sermon on Sunday, January 11, 2015 by Pastor Thomas Tate
THE ZEAL OF PAUL
MICAH’S PRAYER, THE MAKING OF A GODLY MAN
- Lord I pray that you would develop him in his heart, mind, body, soul and spirit. Setting him apart to serve you and bring glory to your name in all of his ways and all of his days. Father I pray that you would bless him in his knowledge of you and give him the strength, stature and wisdom of Solomon. I pray that you would give him the faithfulness of Abraham and the humility of Moses. I also pray Father that you would bless him with the righteousness of Job and the eagerness of Isaiah. I pray that you would give him the heart after you like David and the ears of Samuel that are so attentive to Your voice. I pray Lord that You would giver him the propheticness of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, the zeal of Paul…
Who Is Paul?
- although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blamel But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
- For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles
- Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern?
Jesus Death Should Inspire Us To Live Zealously
- For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you.
God Is Looking For A Few Good Zealous Hearts
- “For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and His ears attend to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are ble And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts
- For this reason I remind you to kindle fresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God
- “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. ‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.
Zealousness Is A Sign Of Salvation
- ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
MICAH’S PRAYER, THE MAKING OF A GODLY MAN
THE ZEAL OF PAUL
- Have you ever been to a Seahawks game? How loud was it? Why are people so passionate about the Seahawks? What would others say you are passionate about?
- What would church look like if the people were as passionate about God, His Word, the Gospel, and church? Why are we so quiet and reserved in church?
- Read Philippians 3:4-7; Galatians 1:13-16a. What was Paul zealous for before Jesus in his life? What did God turn Paul’s passion towards after Jesus? Would or has anyone accused you of being passionate for God? Why?
- Read 2 Corinthians 11:22-29. How was Paul’s zeal/passion demonstrated? What can we expect to happen if we are openly passionate about God? What are some reasons we hide our passion?
- Read Titus 2:11-15. What should be the result of our salvation? Give applications that apply to today?
- Read 1 Peter 3:12-15a. What kind of people is the “eyes of the Lord” looking for? Read 2 Timothy 1:6-8. What kind of spirit did God give you? Does this describe you?
- Read Revelation 3:14-15. What will God do if you are not passionate about Him but just even keeled? What do you think of this passage?
- Read Revelation 3:19-20. What does God command us to do to be right with Him? What is holding you back from being more openly passionate about your faith? What can others do to help you be more openly passionate about your faith?