Sermon on Sunday January 4, 2015 by Pastor Thomas Tate
(No recorded sermon at this time, please check back)
Propheticness Of Ezekiel
Micah’s Prayer, The Making of A Godly Man
The Gift Of Prophesy
- Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
Humble Before God
- As the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking.
Full Of The Holy Spirit
- As He spoke to me the Spirit entered me and set me on my feet; and I heard Him speaking to me.
Sent To Speak To Unfriendly People
- Then He said to me, “Son of man, I am sending you to the sons of Israel, to a rebellious people who have rebelled against Me; they and their fathers have transgressed against Me to this very day. “I am sending you to them who are stubborn and obstinate children, and you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God.’
Spoke The Word Of God
- Then He said to me, “Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. He said to me, “Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you.” Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth. Then He said to me, “Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them. “For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language, but to the house of Israel, nor to many peoples of unintelligible speech or difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. But I have sent you to them who should listen to you;
Speak Whether They Listen or Not
- “But you shall speak My words to them whether they listen or not, for they are rebellious.
Lead By God’s Spirit
- So the Spirit lifted me up and took me away; and I went embittered in the rage of my spirit, and the hand of the Lord was strong on me.
Waited On The Word Of The Lord
- Then I came to the exiles who lived beside the river Chebar at Tel-abib, and I sat there seven days where they were living, causing consternation among them. At the end of seven days the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Son of man, I have appointed you a watchman to the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from My mouth, warn them from Me.
More Concerned About Peoples Eternal Life Than Popularity
- “When I say to the wicked, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to warn the wicked from his wicked way that he may live, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. “Yet if you have warned the wicked and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered yourself.
- “Again, when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and I place an obstacle before him, he will die; since you have not warned him, he shall die in his sin, and his righteous deeds which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood I will require at your hand. “However, if you have warned the righteous man that the righteous should not sin and he does not sin, he shall surely live because he took warning; and you have delivered yourself.”
Love and Grace Must Prevail
- If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
THE PROPHETICNESS OF EZEKIEL
- What do you think of when you hear the word “prophesy”?
- Read 1 Corinthians 14:1-3. What are the reasons these verses give that explain why prophecy is better? What are the 3 purposes listed for prophesying? Define each one and give an example of how to use it correctly?
- Share a time when someone came to you with a word of edification (building you up) or exhortation (challenging you to do it God’s way) or consolation (comfort) using God’s word?
- In Ezekiel 1:28 what attitude is demonstrated by Ezekiel that anyone prophesying must have? Why is it so important to have this attitude when serving God by speaking to others?
- In Ezekiel 2:2 what is necessary to hear from God? Why?
- What is your favorite dessert? How hard is it to stop eating your favorite dessert? Read Ezekiel 3:1-4. How does God’s word taste in Ezekiel’s mouth? How does God’s word taste to you (figuratively J)? How easy it is to pick it up and how hard it is to put down is an indicator of how it taste to you. Discuss this statement..
- Why is it so important to love God’s word and devour it for the purpose of prophesying?
- In Ezekiel 2:7 what is our responsibility when prophesying?
- Read Ezekiel 3:18-21. Discuss what this means to you, try not to water it down so you feel better J. How will this change how you live out the great commission (Matthew 28:18-20)?