Sermon on Sunday, November 9, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
THE MAKING OF A GODLY MAN
SOLOMON – STRENGTH, STATURE AND WISDOM
Jesus I thank you for the gift that you have given me in my son Micah and the joy that he brings to this family. Lord I pray that you would develop him in his heart, mind, body, soul and spirit. Setting him apart to serve you and bring glory to your name in all of his ways and all of his days. Father I pray that you would bless him in his knowledge of you and give him the strength, stature and wisdom of Solomon. I pray that you would give him the faithfulness of Abraham and the humility of Moses. I also pray Father that you would bless him with the righteousness of Job and the eagerness of Isaiah. I pray that you would give the heart after You like David and the ears of Samuel that are so attentive to Your voice. I pray Lord that you would give him the propheticness of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, the zeal of Paul and the boldness of Peter. I also pray God that you would bless him with the gift of encouragement like Barnabas and the teachability of Timothy. But above all I pray that you would give him a heart of love, compassion, grace, mercy and truth like Yours Jesus.
Lord Jesus I pray that you would use him to further Your Kingdom and bring glory to Your name by leading many people to the saving knowledge of the love that You have for them. In Jesus name Amen.
SOLOMON’S DAD PRAYED FOR HIM
- [DAVID PRAYED] “O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, our fathers, preserve this forever in the intentions of the heart of Your people, and direct their heart to You and give to my son Solomon a perfect heart to keep Your commandments, Your testimonies and Your statutes, and to do them all, and to build the temple, for which I have made provision.”
If God Offered To Grant You One Wish For Yourself, What Would You Ask For?
- In Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream at night; and God said, “Ask what you wish me to give you.”
SOLOMON ASKED FOR WISDOM TO JUDGE AND DISCERNMENT/KNOWLEDGE
- Then Solomon said, “You have shown great loving kindness to Your servant David my father, according as he walked before You in truth and righteousness and uprightness of heart toward You; and You have reserved for him this great loving kindness, that You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. “Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king in place of my father David, yet I am but a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.
SOLOMON ASKED FOR WISDOM TO JUDGE AND DISCERNMENT/KNOWLEDGE
- “Your servant is in the midst of Your people which You have chosen, a great people who are too many to be numbered or counted. “So give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?”
WISDOM TO UNERSTAND JUSTICE
- It was pleasing in the sight of the Lord that Solomon had asked this thing. God said to him, “Because you have asked this thing and have not asked for yourself long life, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have you asked for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself discernment to understand justice,
A GODLY MAN SEEKS GOD’S JUSTICE
- ‘You shall not show partiality in judgment; you shall hear the small and the great alike. You shall not fear man, for the judgment is God’s. The case that is too hard for you, you shall bring to me, and I will hear it.’
WHEN YOU OBTAIN GOD’S WISDOM HE WILL ADD RICHES, HONOR AND LONG LIFE
- “I have also given you what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that there will not be any among the kings like you all your days. “If you walk in My ways, keeping My statutes and commandments, as your father David walked, then I will prolong your days.”
WISDOM BEGINS WITH A HEALTHY FEAR OF GOD
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
DOES YOUR LIFE REVEAL TRUE WISODM?
- But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
WHAT WILL YOU ASK FOR?
- “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
- This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.
A FATHER’S PLEA TO HIS SON
- “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
MICAH’S PRAYER – THE MAKING OF A GODLY MAN
THE STRENGTH, STATURE AND WISDOM OF SOLOMON
- Do you have children? How would you describe each one in a few words? What has been their greatest achievement? Failure? What would you do different in parenting them, now that you can look back on it?
- What do you think of “Micah’s Prayer”? How did you pray for your kids growing up and have you seen your prayers answered? Why do you think that is (either way)?
- Read 1 Kings 3:3-5. What was it about Solomon that got the Lord’s attention? What do you think your kids or you would ask for if the same proposal was made to them/you (try to answer as if you didn’t know this story, be realistic)?
- Read 1 Kings 3:6-9. What did Solomon ask for and why do you think he asked for this instead of wealth or power? Read 1 Kings 3:10-11. What did God think about his request? What do you ask for when you pray, things to make your life better or things that will honor God and benefit His people?
- Many people think wisdom comes from schooling, the Bible, memorization etc… but where does wisdom begin according to God? Read Psalm 110:10 and Proverbs 1:7. Discuss what this means and why we must start there.
- Who is the wisest person you have known? What made them so wise? What does the Bible say a wise person looks like (James 3:17-18)? Where are you on that scale of wisdom? What can you do to become wiser?