Sermon on Sunday, November 2, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
A FULFILLING LIFE
A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE
- THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE (FULFILLING LIFE)
- USING YOUR SPEACIAL GIFT (PURPOSEFUL LIFE)
- WORD, PRAYER, AND DEEDS (PRACTICE)
- GLORIFYING GOD (MEANING OF LIFE)
- FOUNDATION-CHRIST AND THE CROSS (SALVATION)
- “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.
GOD REVEALS HIS PLANS WHEN WE SHOW HIM OUR HEARTS
- ‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. ‘Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
- “You shall remember all the way which the Lord your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
GOD REVEALS HIS PLAN TO NOAH WHEN HE SEE’S HIS HEART
- The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. The Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God.
GOD REVEALS HIS BIG PLAN AND DAILY PLAN TO NOAH
- God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth. Then God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth. “Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. “This is how you shall make it:
GOD REVEAL HIS PLAN TO ABRAHAM IN HIS ELDERLY YEARS
- Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go forth from your country, and from your relatives and from your father’s house, to the land which I will show you; and I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and so you shall be a blessing; and I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.” So Abram went forth as the Lord had spoken to him; and Lot went with him. Now Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.
GOD BLESSES JOSEPH FOR HIS GREATER PLAN, A PLAN 400 YEARS IN THE MAKING
- Now Joseph had been taken down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an Egyptian officer of Pharaoh, the captain of the bodyguard, bought him from the Ishmaelites, who had taken him down there. The Lord was with Joseph, so he became a successful man. And he was in the house of his master, the Egyptian. Now his master saw that the Lord was with him and how the Lord caused all that he did to prosper in his hand. So Joseph found favor in his sight and became his personal servant; and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he owned he put in his charge.
GOD REVEALS HIS PLAN TO A MAN WHO HAD A FAILED PAST
- When the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am…” He said also, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Then Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. The Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have given heed to their cry because of their taskmasters, for I am aware of their sufferings…
GOD USES MOSES TO FULFILL THE PLAN OF ABRAHAM AND JOSEPH
- “So I have come down to deliver them from the power of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and spacious land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Amorite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite… “Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.” But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?” And He said, “Certainly I will be with you…
- FULFILLING LIVES OF THE BIBLE
- WOMAN WHO GAVE 100% (1 CENT)
- WOMAN WHO POURED PERFUME ON JESUS
- PETER TO THE JEWS
- PAUL TO THE GENTILES
- BARNABAS TO ENCOURAGE
- A FULFILLING MARRIAGE
- BEGINS BY SEEKING TO HONOR GOD
- BY SAVING YOURSELF FOR MARRIAGE
- BY MARRYING ANOTHER BELIEVER
- BY LOVING YOUR WIFE AS JESUS LOVED CHURCH
- BY RESPECTING YOUR HUSBAND UNCONDITIONALLY
- BY LOVING THEM THROUGH THERE SHORTCOMINGS
- BY ENCOURAGING ONE ANOTHER
- BY TRAINING YOUR KIDS UP IN THE WAY OF THE LORD
- A FULFILLING CHILDHOOD
- BEGINS BY SEEKING TO HONOR GOD
- BY HONORING YOUR PARENTS
- BY KEEPING YOUR WAYS PURE
- BY STANDING ALONE FOR YOUR FAITH
- A FULFILLING WORK LIFE
BEGINS BY SEEKING TO HONOR GOD
- Workers, be submissive to your boss with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly.
LOOK TO JESUS AS YOUR PERSONAL TRAINER IN THE PERSUIT OF THE ULTIMATE CHIRTIAN LIFE
- Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary band lose heart.
LIVE WITH PURPOSE, COMPETE EACH DAY, BE DISCIPLINED, HAVE FOCUS AND DESIRE TO WIN
- I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
Sermon-Based Bible Study Questions
A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE:
A FULFILLING LIFE
- What have you decided about perusing the Ultimate Christian Life? If you’re not ready how do you make peace with John 10:9-11? Which step is hardest for you to commit to and why?
- Read Genesis 6:6-9. What was it about Noah that God revealed His plan to him? What might of happened to the world if Noah hadn’t been living out step 1 through 3 of the guide? Because of one man’s faithfulness all of mankind is saved from extinction. How can this apply to you and your impact on the world around you?
- In Genesis 6:12-15 God reveals his “Big” plan and daily plan to Noah. How long did Noah have to work at the daily plan to achieve the “Big” plan? How can you apply that to your life?
- Many think they are too old for God to use them anymore or in a significant way and are just basically waiting to die. Read Genesis 12:1-4. How old was Abraham when God first called him to follow his plan? (Abraham lived to be 175 yrs old). Howl old was he when he had Isaac? God promised Abraham that he would be the father of a new nation in a land flowing with milk and honey. Did Abraham live to see this fulfilled? Read Hebrews 11:8-16. How can you apply this to your life?
- Who do/did you know personally that lived out the Ultimate Christian Life? What was it about them that personified this life?
- Where are you at on the guided steps to the Ultimate Christian Life: Step one: You have been saved. Step two: You have accepted that the meaning of life is to Glorify God in all things. (It’s not about you) Step 3: You are living it out by practicing the Word, prayer and deeds (always looking for opportunities and acting on them to glorify God and serve others). Step 4: You have discovered your spiritual gift and you are using it regularly for God’s glory.
- Paul, who definitely lived out the Ultimate Christian Life, said he ran the race to win but knows that he must push harder daily to achieve God’s call on his life till the end. What do you need to do to push yourself farther along in your faith?