Sermon on Sunday, October 12, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
“SEPARATION IS IN THE PREPARATION”
WORD, PRAYER AND DEEDS
A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE
- A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE
- THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE (FULFILLING LIFE)
- USING YOUR SPECIAL GIFT (PURPOSEFUL LIFE)
- WORD, PRAYER, AND DEEDS (PRACTICE)
- GLORIFYING GOD (MEANING OF LIFE)
- FOUNDATION-CHRIST AND THE CROSS (SALVATION)
- PRACTICE FOR EXCELLENCE
Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
PRACTICE TO BE STRONGER
- How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees.
GOD’S TEACHINGS LEAD US TO GLORIFY HIM
- All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord, and they shall glorify Your name. For You are great and do wondrous deeds; You alone are God. Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and will glorify Your name forever.
OUR GOODNESS AND FAITH SHOULD LEAD TO GOD’S GLORY
- To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
“SEPERATION IS IN THE PREPERATION”
- Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
PRAYER PREPARES YOU TO LIVE FEARLESSLY
- Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
PRACITCE YOUR FAITH
- What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”
TRIALS PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES TO GLORIFY GOD
- In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
GOD REVEALS HIS PLANS WHEN WE SHOW HIM OUR HEARTS
- ‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. ‘Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
- “You shall remember all the way which the Lord your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO GLORIFY GOD
- Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing…Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE:
“SEPERATION IS IN THE PREPERATION”
WORD, PRAYER AND DEEDS
- What sport or team (soccer, band…) did you participate in as a kid? What was it like when you first started? What position did you discover you fit best at?
- Read 1 Peter 2:1-10. What is it we should be practicing? Do you think there is significance to the order of things to practice? What is the point of practicing anything?
- In 1 Peter 2:1-10. It mentions that we were called by God’s excellence to achieve excellence. What separates teams/players that are good and teams/players that are excellent? How can you apply that to your spiritual walk?
- Read Psalm 119:9-12. How can you keep your way pure?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17. What can the Word of God do in our lives? What is the end purpose for these things? How has God’s Word done this in your life?
- The Bible is like the playbook and prayer is like talking to the coach, describe a coach that made a difference in your or your kids life. Read Philippians 4:4-7. What is the benefit of prayer as described in these verses?
- How good would a team be that only studied the playbook and talked to the coach but never actually practiced on the field? Read James 2:14-18 and discuss it’s meaning to you.
- Every Christian believes that God has a plan for their lives but 9 out of 10 don’t know what it is specifically? Do you know what God’s plan for your life is specifically? Read Jeremiah 29:11-13. What does it say is needed before God reveals His plan? Read Deuteronomy 8:2. What did God do to know the heart of men in order to put their plan in motion (go into promised land)? What is your response to this insight? Have you passed the test or do you need some more practice? Do you really want to know the plan or are you afraid to know?