Sermon on Sunday October 19, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
(Part 1 of 2)
(Part 2 of 2)
DISCOVERING AND USING YOUR SPEACIAL GIFT
-A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE-
A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATECHRISTIAN LIFE
- THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE (FULFILLING LIFE)
- USING YOUR SPEACIAL GIFT (PURPOSEFUL LIFE)
- WORD, PRAYER, AND DEEDS (PRACTICE)
- GLORIFYING GOD (MEANING OF LIFE)
- FOUNDATION-CHRIST AND THE CROSS (SALVATION)
GOD REVEALS HIS PLANS WHEN WE SHOW HIM OUR HEARTS
- ‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. ‘Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
- “You shall remember all the way which the Lord your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
JESUS HAS GIVE EACH OF US A SPECIAL GIFT
- There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
Therefore it says,
“When He ascended on high,
He led captive a host of captives,
And He gave gifts to men.”
SPIRITUAL GIFTS ARE FOR THE MATURE
- And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;
but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.
IGNITE YOUR SPECIAL GIFT
- For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God,
(Audio Part 2of 2, begins here)
YOUR PURPOSE IS TO FULFILL HIS PURPOSE
- who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.
DISCOVER YOUR GIFT TO FULFILL YOUR PURPOSE
- But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.
DIFFERENT SPIRITUAL GIFTS
- Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware. You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
THE GOOD OF ALL IS DEPENDANT ON EACH PERSON USING THEIR GIFT
- But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
ALL OUR GIFTS WORKING TOGETHER
- For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many…But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. If they were all one member, where would the body be? But now there are many members, but one body…
- 1 Corinthian 12:12-14, 18-20
A TEAM IS NO STRONGER THAN ITS WEAKEST PLAYER
- And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.
DIFFENT KINDS OF GIFTS
- And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show you a still more excellent way…
LOVE IS THE KEY TO USING YOUR GIFT
- If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
NO MATTER WHAT GIFT YOU HAVE YOUR RESPONIBILITY IS THE SAME
- …you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
H.E.R.D.’s – Helping Encourage Relational Depth
A GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE CHRISTIAN LIFE:
Step Four: DISCOVERING AND USING YOUR SPECIAL GIFT (PURPOSEFUL LIFE)
- In the guide to the ultimate Christian life there is a progressive order: 1. Foundation (Christ and the cross [salvation]) 2. The meaning of life-Glorifying God. 3. Word, prayer and deeds (practice) 4. Using your spiritual gift (purposeful life). Most Christians never get past the salvation stage: Where would you say you are at right now?
- Read Jeremiah 29:11-13. When will God listen to you and reveal His plan to you? According to Deuteronomy 8:2 how will He know when you’re ready?
- Read Ephesians 4:11-16. According to this passage what kind of maturity is necessary to use spiritual gifts? What is the result of the church when everyone is practicing their gift?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-6. What is it that Paul wants them to be aware of? How aware are you of about these things?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:7-11. How many Christians does God want to give a spiritual gift to? According to this passage what is the benefit of the gifts?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-14,18-20. Why is it important that we all use our gifts? Why is it important that the church is made up of different gifts?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:26-27. How is your whole body affected when one part is unhealthy? How does this relate to the church and our responsibility to stay spiritually healthy and actively using our gifts?