Sermon on Sunday June 8, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
GOD IS COLOR BLIND -WE ARE ONE UNDER THE SON-
STANDING AGAINST RACISM
- But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision. The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?
WE ARE ALL MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD
- Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.
GOD WANTS TO BE THE GOD OF ALL PEOPLE
- For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
GOD’S STANCE ON INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE
- Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married (for he had married a Cushite [African] woman); and they said, “Has the Lord indeed spoken only through Moses? Has He not spoken through us as well?” And the Lord heard it…With him I speak mouth to mouth, even openly, and not in dark sayings, and he beholds the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against My servant, against Moses?” So the anger of the Lord burned against them and He departed.
KING SOLOMON HAD A INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE
- The Song of Songs, which is Solomon’s. “May he kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine. “Your oils have a pleasing fragrance, your name is like purified oil; Therefore the maidens love you. “Draw me after you and let us run together! The king has brought me into his chambers.” “We will rejoice in you and be glad; We will extol your love more than wine. Rightly do they love you.” “I am black but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon.
NEW TESTAMENT ON MARRIAGE
- A wife is bound as long as her husband lives; but if her husband is dead, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.
PARTIALITY BASED ON ANYTHING OUTWARDLY IS EVIL
- My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism… have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives?
- I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
- But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
STANDING AGAINST RACISM
- But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned…But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?
PETER OVERCOMES HIS PREJIDICE
- Opening his mouth, Peter said: “I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.
JESUS DIED FOR ALL PEOPLE
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
WE ARE ONE IN HEAVEN
- After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands; and they cry out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”