Sermon on Sunday May 18, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
THE ONE TRUE GOSPEL
- I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed! For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
THE ONE TRUE GOSPEL BELONGS TO JESUS
- I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
JESUS’ GOSPEL IS FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH
- And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
JESUS’ GOSPEL IS FULL OF GRACE
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- “Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.” Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
JESUS’ GOSPEL IS FULL OF TRUTH
- “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
- Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. “He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.
THE ONE TRUE GOSPEL
- But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
GRACE AND TRUTH WAS ACCOMPLISHED ON THE CROSS
- Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.
- “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.
THE TAKE AWAY
- For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
1. Have you ever been a part of a different religion than Christianity? What was it like and how was it different? (If no one has share what you know about other beliefs)
2. Read Galatians 1:6-7. According to this passage who’s Gospel is it? What are some “gospels” that you have heard that are different from Jesus’ gospel? How are they different?
3. Read John 1:14. What was Jesus’ gospel full of? What is grace? What is truth? Have you ever been a part of a church that overly emphasized truth (legalistic) and lacked in grace? What was it like? Today’s churches in response to the legalistic churches have swung the pendulum to a hyper grace were we are free to do whatever we want since God forgives. What is the danger of going to far with that?
4. Read John 3:16-18. How does this demonstrate Jesus’ gospel that is full of grace?
6. Jesus never sacrificed truth for grace or grace for truth. Which one do you find yourself leaning more towards and why is that? How do we balance grace and truth?
7. Read Galatians 1:8-9. What is the warning for those who preach a gospel different than Jesus’ gospel? Did you know that Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) and Muhammad (founder of the Muslim faith) both claimed to have received their gospel from an angel?
8. Read John 14:6. How do you feel about Jesus being the only way to heaven, meaning any other faith leads to hell? Why does Jesus have to be the only way?
9. Read Galatians 6:10. Why do so many pastors today give into including other faiths as acceptable to God? (Joel Osteen said on national TV, when asked if Jesus was the only way, that Jesus was his way but he believes God will honor others who have sincere faith in different religions). Who is the only one we should seek to please when speaking of the Gospel?