Sermon on Sunday May 5, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
LIVING LIFE ON PURPOSE
GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE
- “For thus says the Lord, ‘When seventy years have been completed for Babylon, I will visit you and fulfill My good word to you, to bring you back to this place. ‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. ‘Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. ‘I will be found by you,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.’
GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR EVERYONE
- The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil.
FIX YOUR EYES ON JESUS TO FIND YOUR PURPOSE
- Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
DISCOVER GOD’S PURPOSE TO DISCOVER YOUR OWN PURPOSE
- “Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ “For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
TRUST GOD OVER YOURSELF
- My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body and refreshment to your bones.
MAKE GOD’S PURPOSE YOUR PURPOSE
- Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
JESUS PURPOSE WAS TO SAVE THE LOST
- But He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose.”
“For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
FOLLOWING GOD’S PURPOSE DOESN’T ALWAYS LEAD TO AN EASY LIFE
- “Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. “Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.”
OUR PURPOSE IS GODLINESS
- In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following. But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness; for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
DISCOVERING YOUR PURPOSE FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHURHES PURPOSE
- Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware. You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
- But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills. For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ.
GOD WILL HELP YOU FULFILL YOUR PURPOSE
- And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
Community Groups Exist to Help Encourage Relational Depth
“LIVING LIFE ON PURPOSE”
1. When you were in high school did you know what you wanted to be? How much easier would have planning your future been if you knew?
2. Do you know your individual purpose in life? How much easier would life be if you knew exactly what you were suppose to be doing for God?
3. What do you think about the statement, “Reading your Bible, praying and trying to follow the commandments alone is like going to college but never using that knowledge to get a job in a specific field to use your knowledge and skills”? (Sometimes Christians treat their faith like a career college student, always learning but rarely using that knowledge).
4. Read Jeremiah 29:10-14. Often only Jeremiah 29:11 is quoted. How do the other verses bring more meaning to that verse? What kind of people was God talking to? When will God listen to us and what is required to find God?
5. Read Proverbs 3:1-8. What are the things required in these passages to discover God’s path for your life? How hard is it to completely trust and follow? Why is that?
7. Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-12. God has gifted us each for a purpose, have you discovered your spiritual gift/purpose? What do you need to do to know what it is (Refer to Jeremiah 29:11-13; Prov. 3:1-8 as well)? How should your gift/purpose fit in with the churches purpose? What are you doing to accomplish this?
8. A formula for living on purpose is: 1. Founded on Jesus and the cross (saved). 2. Seek to Glorify God in all you do (Seek first the kingdom of heaven). 3. Be in the Word and prayer and doing good deeds (Educating and practicing). 4. Use your spiritual gift for God’s purpose (Your purpose) 5. Live a life of joy and peace (Blessing). Have discussion about this.