Sermon on Sunday March 9, 2014 by Pastor Thomas Tate
“CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?” – JESUS
- So she ran and came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.” So Peter and the other disciple went forth, and they were going to the tomb. The two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead faster than Peter and came to the tomb first; And stooping and looking in, he saw the linen wrappings lying there; but he did not go in. And so Simon Peter also came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself. So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb then also entered, and he saw and believed. For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. So the disciples went away again to their own homes. But Mary was standing outside the tomb weeping; and so, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying. And they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, “Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, “Rabboni!” (which means, Teacher).
- Jesus said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’ ” Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.
Road to Emmaus
Why People Can’t See Jesus
- And behold, two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus, which was about seven miles from Jerusalem. And they were talking with each other about all these things which had taken place. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were prevented from recognizing Him.
Why People Can’t See Jesus
- And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
- But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart; but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
You Know The Stories But Do You Know Jesus
- And He said to them, “What are these words that you are exchanging with one another as you are walking?” And they stood still, looking sad. One of them, named Cleopas, answered and said to Him, “Are You the only one visiting Jerusalem and unaware of the things which have happened here in these days?” And He said to them, “What things?” And they said to Him, “The things about Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word in the sight of God and all the people, and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to the sentence of death, and crucified Him.
Has God Disappointed You?
- “But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, it is the third day since these things happened. “But also some women among us amazed us. When they were at the tomb early in the morning, and did not find His body, they came, saying that they had also seen a vision of angels who said that He was alive. “Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just exactly as the women also had said; but Him they did not see.”
Jesus Explains Scripture
- And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! “Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
You Must INVITE Jesus Into You Heart
- And they approached the village where they were going, and He acted as though He were going farther. But they urged Him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is getting toward evening, and the day is now nearly over.” So He went in to stay with them. When He had reclined at the table with them, He took the bread and blessed it, and breaking it, He began giving it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight.
- ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.
- and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
- (Holy Spirit) saying, ‘Go to this people and say, “You will keep on hearing, but will not understand; And you will keep on seeing, but will not perceive; For the heart of this people has become dull, and with their ears they scarcely hear, and they have closed their eyes; Otherwise they might see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart and return, and I would heal them.” ’ “Therefore let it be known to you that this salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will also listen.”
Encountering Jesus Leads To Witnessing
- They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?” And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found gathered together the eleven and those who were with them, saying, “The Lord has really risen and has appeared to Simon.” They began to relate their experiences on the road and how He was recognized by them in the breaking of the bread.
Do You Have A Passion For Jesus
- They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?”
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
1. Why do you think people can’t see Jesus (believe)? How does someone’s past experiences with church/”believers” effect how they see Jesus/God?
2. Read Luke 24:13-16. What do you think prevented these disciples from seeing Jesus? As disciples, how do we not see Jesus working in our lives sometimes (why)?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 4:3-4. What is keeping people from seeing God’s love for them through Jesus (Gospel)? Who is blinding them? What are some things that he uses to blind them?
4. Read 2 Corinthians 3:15-17. What was veiling the minds of the religious in this passage? Who removes this veil? What does Jesus set them free from? How do Christians today sometimes put themselves back under the veil of religious laws? How does this keep them from seeing Jesus? How does this keep others from seeing Jesus correctly (read Ephesians 4:32-5:2)?
5. What religious laws have you put yourself back under? What religious laws do you try to put others under? What strong words does Paul use for the Galatians in 3:1-5? Who do you think taught them to go back under the law and what widespread affect did it have? How are churches guilty of this and what wide spread affects have we seen as a result?
6. Read Luke 24:17-23. These followers of Jesus seen all the things Jesus had done and yet did not recognize Jesus. Have you ever met someone like this, knows about Jesus but doesn’t know Jesus? What do they say that might explain why they didn’t understand Jesus? When have you hoped God would do something in your life a certain way but He didn’t and how did it effect you?
7. Read Luke 24:25-31. What was Jesus’ response to them? After seeing Jesus what was their response? Has your heart ever burned for Jesus (sensing His presences, hearing His word…)?