Sermon on Sunday February 23, 2014 by Pastor Thoams Tate
Life AFTER DEATH
- Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark, and saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.
Why The Resurrection Is So Important
- For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.
- 1 Corinthians 15:16-20
Death Is To Be With Christ Now
- “But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoke to you by God: ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”
- Matthew 22:31-32
- Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord— for we walk by faith, not by sight— we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.
- 2 Corinthians 5:6-8
- And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
- Matthew 17:2-3
- For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.
- Philippians 1:21-24
Loved Ones Cannot Come To Us
- ‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’ “And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father’s house— for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ “But Abraham *said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ “But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ “But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’ ” Luke 16:26-31
No Contact With The Dead
- “When you enter the land which the Lord your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. “There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.
- “For whoever does these things is detestable to the Lord; and because of these detestable things the Lord your God will drive them out before you. “You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. “For those nations, which you shall dispossess, listen to those who practice witchcraft and to diviners, but as for you, the Lord your God has not allowed you to do so.
- Deuteronomy 18:9-14
There Is No Marriages In Heaven
- Some Sadducees (who say that there is no resurrection) *came to Jesus, and began questioning Him, saying, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves behind a wife and leaves no child, his brother should marry the wife and raise up children to his brother. “There were seven brothers; and the first took a wife, and died leaving no children. “The second one married her, and died leaving behind no children; and the third likewise; and so all seven left no children. Last of all the woman died also.
- “In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one’s wife will she be? For all seven had married her.” Jesus said to them, “Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God? “For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
- “But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying, ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? “He is not the God of the dead, but of the living; you are greatly mistaken.”
- Mark 12:18-27
The Sting Of Death Has Been Removed
- For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “Death is swallowed up in victory. “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”
- 1 Corinthians 15:53-55
Believe In Jesus And Be Saved
- “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- John 3:16-18
Sermon Based Bible Study Questions
Community Groups Exist to Help Encourage Relational Depth
THE RESURRECTION – LIFE AFTER DEATH
1. What do you think happens when someone dies? Where do they go?
2. Some people (even Christians) believe that we go into a soul sleep until Jesus’ return. Read Matthew 22:31-32. What does Jesus say about this? Read Matthew 17:2-3. Who appears with Jesus? How does this disclaim soul sleep?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 5:6-8. If Paul was to just be dead until the return of Jesus could he say that he “prefer” to be dead? Where does he say he will be when he dies? How does this affect your view of death?
4. What do you think when people claim that their dead loved ones are watching over them? Protecting them? Helping them? Listening to them? Have you ever felt like that? Would you really want your dead loved ones watching you at all times? Why or why not? Read Luke 16:26-31. What does Jesus teach about the dead coming to the living? How does Jesus’ teaching affect your experiences? Which should people believe when they have had some kind of dream or experience of a visit from a loved one? What would you tell them?
5. Have you ever gone to a palm reader or spiritist/medium for fun, advice or to hear from a loved one? Do you know people who have? What does it say in Deuteronomy 18:9-14
6. Many people think they will be married to their spouse in heaven. Some cults, like Mormons, take advantage of this belief and try and guarantee their family reunions. What does Jesus say about having a spouse in heaven (read Mark 12:25)? How do you feel about not being married in heaven? What if you have been divorced or widowed and remarried, how confusing would heaven be? What do you imagine the relationships will really be like?
7. Where will you go when you die and why?