Sermon on Sunday December 15, 2013 by Pastor Thomas Tate
MARY DID YOU KNOW?
MARY AND JOSEPH
WHAT MARY DIDN’T KNOW
- Then the Lord spoke again to Ahaz, saying, “Ask a sign for yourself from the Lord your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven.” But Ahaz said, “I will not ask, nor will I test the Lord!” Then he said, “Listen now, O house of David! Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of my God as well? “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.
- Who has believed our message? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty that we should look upon Him, no appearance that we should be attracted to Him… But the Lord was pleased to crush Him, putting Him to grief; If He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, and the good pleasure of the Lord will prosper in His hand. As a result of the anguish of His soul, He will see it and be satisfied; by His knowledge the Righteous One, My Servant, will justify the many, as He will bear their iniquities.
WHAT MARY KNEW
- Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.
MARY DIDN’T KNOW SHE WAS “FAVORED” BY GOD
- And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” But she was very perplexed at this statement, and kept pondering what kind of salutation this was. The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.
- When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. And she cried out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! “And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?
MARY DIDN’T KNOW SHE WOULD GIVE BIRTH TO GOD HIMSELF
- “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. “He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.”
MARY DIDN’T KNOW HOW SHE COULD GIVE BIRTH OR ABOUT ELIZABETH
- Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God. “And behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. “For nothing will be impossible with God.”
MARY KNEW SHE TRUSTED GOD
- And Mary said, “Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.
JOSEPH DIDN’T KNOW GOD’S PLAN FOR MARY
- Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly.
JOSEPH DIDN’T KNOW THE HE WAS TO BE THE ADOPTED FATHER TO THE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD
- But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. “She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
JOSEPH KNEW HE TRUSTED GOD
- And Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife, but kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son; and he called His name Jesus.
WHAT MARY LEARNED
- And Mary said: “My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. “For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is His name. “And His mercy is upon generation after generation toward those who fear Him. “He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.
- “He has brought down rulers from their thrones, and has exalted those who were humble.
“He has filled the hungry with good things; And sent away the rich empty-handed. “He has given help to Israel His servant, in remembrance of His mercy, as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and his descendants forever.”
WHAT WE CAN KNOW THIS CHRISTMAS…
- THAT YOU ARE FAVORED BY GOD’S GRACE.
- THAT GOD HIMSELF DWELLS IN YOU.
- THAT NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR GOD (TO DO WORKS THROUGH YOU).
- THAT JESUS CAN USE ANYONE TO CARRY HIS MESSAGE OF SALVATION TO THE WORLD.
- THAT YOU CAN TRUST GOD IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.