Sermon on Sunday, May 5, 2013 by Pastor Thomas Tate
What Has God Called You To Do?
- “Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. “Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.” So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, “An angel has spoken to Him.”
- Jesus answered and said, “This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes. “Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.” But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die. The crowd then answered Him, “We have heard out of the Law that the Christ is to remain forever; and how can You say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this Son of Man?”
- So Jesus said to them, “For a little while longer the Light is among you. Walk while you have the Light, so that darkness will not overtake you; he who walks in the darkness does not know where he goes. “While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of Light.” These things Jesus spoke, and He went away and hid Himself from them. But though He had performed so many signs before them, yet they were not believing in Him.
Jesus Knew What He Was Called To Do
- “Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. “Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.”
Abraham Received His Calling At 75 Years Old
- Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go forth from your country, and from your relatives and from your father’s house, to the land which I will show you; and I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and so you shall be a blessing; and I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”
- So Abram went forth as the Lord had spoken to him; and Lot went with him. Now Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his nephew, and all their possessions which they had accumulated, and the persons which they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan; thus they came to the land of Canaan.
Moses Was Called From Ranching At 80 Years Old
- Now Moses was pasturing the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian; and he led the flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God…The Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have given heed to their cry because of their taskmasters, for I am aware of their sufferings… “Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.”
Mary Was Called To Raise Jesus Because Of Her Faithfulness
- Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary… The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.
Mary’s Simple Act Will Be A Witness Forever
- But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, “Why do you bother the woman? For she has done a good deed to Me. “For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me. “For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. “Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her.”
The Widow Was Called To Be A Faithful Example To Us All
- And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.”
Paul Was Called To Preach And Suffer
- As he [Saul/Paul] was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?” And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” And He said, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting, but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do.”
- But the Lord said to him [Ananias], “Go, for he [Saul/Paul] is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; for I will show him how much he must suffer for My name’s sake.”
Timothy Was Called As A Youth To Be A Evangelist
- Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe… I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
- For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.
1 Timothy 4:12, 2 Timothy 4:1-6
Are You Ready To Be Sent?
- Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” He said, “Go, and tell this people:..
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
1. Read John 12:27-37. Why do you think at this moment that Jesus soul was feeling troubled? What could of God the Father saved Jesus from? Why didn’t Jesus want to be saved according to verses 27-28a? How does Luke 22:40-44 relate to these words and how difficult it was?
2. What was Jesus purpose in life: a. heal the sick b. feed the poor c. perform miracles d. die a brutal death for our sins. What is your purpose in life?
3. What was Mary’s (mother of Jesus) purpose and how does that relate to Jesus’ purpose? (Luke 1:26, 27, 30, 31) Why do you think that Mary was selected for this one time only in the history of mankind purpose? Do you think she accepted it fully understanding what was to come or by faith?
4. Read Matthew 26:10-13. What was Mary’s purpose and how does it relate to Jesus’ purpose? Seems like a small matter but how long will it be remembered? What is something that seems small that you can do that will connect to Jesus’ purpose and have an eternal significance?
5. Read Matthew 12:41-44. How awesome would it be to have your story written in the Bible to be read and learned from? What was the poor widow’s purpose? How can we inspire others with our faith?
6. Read Acts 9:4-6, 15-16. What was Paul/Saul’s purpose? What was to accompany his purpose of spreading the Gospel? Did Paul know in detail what he was going to suffer? How would you feel if God called you to suffer for Him (be honest)?
7. Are you ready to live out your purpose for Jesus? Read Isaiah 6:8-9a. How do you answer God’s call on life? What needs to change in your life to be ready now?