Sermon on Sunday, April 21, 2013 by Pastor Thomas Tate
Not Social Gospel
Not Social Gospel
- Jesus, therefore, six days before the Passover, came to Bethany where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.
- Now when Jesus was in Bethany, at the home of Simon the leper,
- So they made Him a supper there, and Martha was serving; but Lazarus was one of those reclining at the table with Him.
Recognizing The Sign Of The Times
- Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
- “For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. “Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her.”
- But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!
Are You A Mary or A Judas?
- But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, who was intending to betray Him, said, “Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and given to poor people?” Now he said this, not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief, and as he had the money box, he used to pilfer what was put into it.
- But some were indignantly remarking to one another, “Why has this perfume been wasted? “For this perfume might have been sold for over three hundred denarii, and the money given to the poor.” And they were scolding her.
Not A Social Gospel
- Therefore Jesus said, “Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of My burial. “For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have Me.”
- But Jesus said, “Let her alone; why do you bother her? She has done a good deed to Me. “For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you wish you can do good to them; but you do not always have Me. “She has done what she could; she has anointed My body beforehand for the burial. “Truly I say to you, wherever the gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her.”
- “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
- “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? “For what will a man give in exchange for his soul? “For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”
- And a man who had been lame from his mother’s womb was being carried along, whom they used to set down every day at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, in order to beg alms of those who were entering the temple. When he saw Peter and John about to go into the temple, he began asking to receive alms. But Peter, along with John, fixed his gaze on him and said, “Look at us!” And he began to give them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. But Peter said, “I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene—walk!”
The World Needs Jesus
- Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
Money Is Not the Answer To Your Problems
- Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,” so that we confidently say, “The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What will man do to me?”
Good Health Is Not The Answer To Your Problems
- Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
A Promotion Is Not the Answer To Your Problems
- An argument started among them as to which of them might be the greatest. But Jesus, knowing what they were thinking in their heart, took a child and stood him by His side, and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great.”
A Spouse Is Not the Answer To Your Problems
- But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I…Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be released. Are you released from a wife? Do not seek a wife. But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have trouble in this life, and I am trying to spare you.
Jesus Is All We Need
- Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
How Many Are Believing In Jesus Because Of Us?
- The large crowd of the Jews then learned that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He raised from the dead. But the chief priests planned to put Lazarus to death also; because on account of him many of the Jews were going away and were believing in Jesus.
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
3. Read John 12:3-6. What does Mary use the ointment for? What does Judas claim he wanted to do with the ointment? What is wrong with Judas’ desire? (motive). What did Judas’ response do to the other disciples and how did they treat Mary? Have you ever known someone that gets others stirred up for what seems right but really it was led by bad motives? (Church, politics, family…)
4. Read John 12:7-8; Mark14:6-9. What was Jesus’ response to those that scorned her? What is more important to Jesus, spreading the Gospel or feeding the poor? How long will there be the poor? When can we help them? What is a social gospel?
5. Have you ever felt like that if you had more money your life would be better? Read Hebrews 13:5-6. What do people really need more of?
6. Have you ever thought that if you got promoted that your life would be better? Read Luke 9:46-48 and discuss what this means.
7. Do you know people who think that if they were just married, find that special someone, that their life would be better? Read 1 Corinthians 7:8,27-8. What does Paul say about the unmarried and widows? (Paul was single).
8. Read Philippians 4:11-13. According to Paul what is the one thing that we need, that the world needs? What does that type of attitude look like in your world?