Sermon on Sunday, February 3, 2013 by Pastor Thomas Tate
WHAT IS YOUR WORLD VIEW?
ARE YOU CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD?
ARE YOU CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF AN APE?
For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Then God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them”; and it was so.
God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind”; and it was so.
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so. God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
ARE YOU PLANT FOOD OR A CITIZEN OF HEAVEN?
All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.
GOD CREATED YOU TO BE IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM
‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. ‘ Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it…For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you
In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
YOUR WORLD VIEW WILL DETERMINE HOW YOU TREAT OTHERS
- For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
AS A CHRISTIAN I MUST LOOK AT PEOPLE THROUGH THE EYES OF GOD
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD YOU MUST ACT LIKE IT
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving
Sermon-Based Bible Study Questions
1. Do you believe God created you on the sixth day or did you evolve after billions of years of life and death and evolution? How is it theologically impossible to blend the two?
2. Read Romans 1:21-25. How is this like evolution? What was the result of people worshipping the creation instead of the Creator? What do you think of the statement, “Moral degradation is a consequence of God’s wrath, not the reason for it”? or “Divine judgment is God permitting people to go their own way”? Give examples of this in our world today.
3. Read Genesis 1:25-31. What makes us different from all other creation? What does that mean to you? How is that different than evolution?
4. Read Hebrews 11:13-16. How does, or better yet, should knowing that earth is not our home and there is a God effect our worldview?
5. Read Jeremiah 29:11-13; Psalm 139:1-6,13-14. 1 John 4:10. How does knowing that God created you for an intimate relationship with Him affect your worldview? Describe your relationship with God (everyone’s will be a little different).
6. Read Matthew 5:46. What kind of people are described who love only those that love them? Which worldview does this best portray? Do you know Christians who live like this?
8. Read Ephesians 4:32-5:4. How should we act if we were created in God’s image and called to imitate Him? What changes will you make to better imitate God?