Sermon on Sunday, November 11, 2012 by Pastor Thomas Tate
ONE DAY AT A TIME
OVERCOMING THE SIN THAT SO EASILY TRIPS YOU UP
Removing the viruses
- Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
God’s discipline removes viruses
- You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin; and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor faint when you are reproved by Him; for those whom the Lord loves He disciplines…
- PRAYER VIRUSES
- RESISTENT TO COUNSEL
- EVIL DEEDS
- FALSE GODS
- ONE DAY AT A TIME
- “If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Focus on today
- “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
The internal battle
- For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate… Romans 7:15
- For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want… Romans 7:18-19
- For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin. Romans 7:22-25
Set your mind on the spirit
- Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1
- For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace… Romans 8:5-6
Fight the good fight
- But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Resist the evil today
- For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Keep moving forward
- For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.
Keep moving forward
- But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
What are you waiting on?
- ‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.” ’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’ “So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
Stay in prayer
- “Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
Sermon-based Bible Study Questions
1. Do you agree that life is not about our glory but our lives glorifying God? What areas of your life reflect glorifying of self and what areas reflect glorifying of God?
2. Read Hebrews 12:1. How would Usain Bolt (Olympic Gold medalist) do in a race if his legs were tied together? What is tying you down from becoming all that you were made to be?
3. What is your goal in the your Christian life, were do you see yourself in you spiritual life in 5 years? Write down some goals for your spiritual life. Discuss what the steps are to get to that goal.
4. What are you waiting on to start moving towards that goal daily? How does, Luke 12:19-21 apply to our procrastination?
6. Who are the most successful people, the self-motivated or dependant people? Read Hebrews 12:1-3. What should be our motivation? How can we apply this daily to stay dedicated?
7. Read Hebrews 12:4-7,11. What does God use for a training technique? Talk about a time when God used discipline in your life to train you in His ways? How did it feel when you finally overcame that sin that entangled you?
8. How bad do you want to live a powerful life for Christ? What are you willing to do to realize that kind of life? What does it look like? When will you honestly start making the sacrifices and what will be your motivation? Remember Jesus loves you and only wants the best for you. He has given you His Holy Spirit to help you accomplish this powerful Christian life.