Sermon on Sunday October 14, 2012 by Pastor Thomas Tate
STATE OF THE NATION
OUR NATIONS WAS FOUNDED ON THE GOSPEL AND WE ARE GOD’S PEOPLE
- and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, “Cursed is the man who does not heed the words of this covenant which I commanded your forefathers in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, ‘Listen to My voice, and do according to all which I command you; so you shall be My people, and I will be your God,’ in order to confirm the oath which I swore to your forefathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day.” ’ ” Then I said, “Amen, O Lord.”
TIME OF THE GENTILES
- I say then, they [Israel] did not stumble so as to fall, did they? May it never be! But by their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, to make them jealous… For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved;
WE MUST REPENT AS A NATION
- “But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot you from My land which I have given you, and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight and I will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples. “As for this house, which was exalted, everyone who passes by it will be astonished and say, ‘Why has the Lord done thus to this land and to this house?’ “And they will say, ‘Because they forsook the Lord, the God of their fathers who brought them from the land of Egypt, and they adopted other gods and worshiped them and served them; therefore He has brought all this adversity on them.’ ”
- How do you boil a live frog? Slowly!
OUR NATION’S MORALS HAVE BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN
- Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight!
OUR NATION’S LEADERS HAVE REJECTED JESUS AND HIS MORALS
- For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
GOD IS GIVING US OVER TO OUR FOOLISHNESS
- Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
OUR NATION IS APPROVING OF EVIL BEHAVIOR
- and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
TODAY EVOLUTION IS TRUE AND WERE CRAZY BIBLE SAYS…
- God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
TODAY GAY IS GOOD AND WE’RE HOMOPHOBES BIBLE SAYS…
- But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.
TODAY DISCIPLING CHILDREN IS BAD THE BIBLE SAYS…
- The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother.
– Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him.
- Proverbs 22:15
- Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
TODAY SEX BEFORE MARRIAGE IS NORMAL THE BIBLE SAYS…
- For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality (fornication); that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God;
- But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband… But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
TODAY UNBORN BABIES AREN’T PEOPLE AND ABORTION IS GOOD THE BIBLE SAYS…
– “Can a woman forget her nursing child and have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you”. Isaiah 49:15
- “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
- Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Psalm 127:3
- “You shall not murder”. Exodus 20:13
TODAY PRAYER AND ALL GODLINESS HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM SCHOOLS
- 1962 SUPREME COURT RULED AGAINST PRAYER IN SCHOOLS IN THE CASE OF
MADALYN MURRAY 0’HAIR
THE BALTIMORE SCHOOL SYSTEM.
- What’s Changed Since Prayer Was Removed? Stats from David Barton (Wallbuiders.com)
- SAT scores Violent Crimes STD’s
- What’s Changed Since Prayer Was Removed? Stats from David Barton (Wallbuiders.com)
Pregnant girls Pregnant girls Single Female
under 15 yrs 15 to 19 yrs parents
- IF WE LOSE OUR FOUNDATION WE WILL FALL HARD
- If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?”
- “Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. “The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”
Sermon-based Bible Study Notes
1. What is some of your biggest concerns for our nation right now? (debt, national security, education, morals, leadership…) What were your parents concerns for our nation when you were a kid?
2. Congress, U.S. House Judiciary Committee, 1854:Had the people, during the Revolution, had a suspicion of any attempt to war against Christianity, that Revolution would have been strangled in its cradle…In this age, there can be no substitute for Christianity…That was the religion of the founders of the republic and they expected it to remain the religion of their descendants.Do you see the separation of church and state to protect the church from the government or to keep the church out of government? In light of the quotes you have heard from the founders of this nation how should it be understood?
3. Read Romans 1:18-32. How can a belief in evolution take away from our glorifying of God? How does trying to blend evolution into Christianity break down our theology? (Clue: think of when death entered the world). What part does glorifying creation over the Creator tie into a depraved immorality? What are some of those immoralities that are listed in these verses and how do we see them today?
4. Read 1 Timothy 1:8-11. What is listed as lawless and rebellious to God? What is said about these things in regard to the glorious gospel? Why do so many preachers and Christians want to bend on their acceptance of homosexuality? What kind of pressure are we under today as a society to accept this lifestyle? How can we be loving to people who disagree but not supporting of this lifestyle?
5. Today the discipline of children is said to be bad. How have you seen this affect our nation? What was your parent’s form of discipline? Did it work? What does the Bible say about disciplining our children (Read: Proverbs 29:15, 22:15; Ephesians 6:4). Why are parents afraid to carry out these passages today?
6. What did you find surprising in the stats that showed the moral decline before and after prayer was taken out of school?