Sermon on Sunday, September 30, 2012 by Pastor Thomas Tate
DOES YOUR LIFE REFLECT YOUR WORDS?
- At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon. The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father’s name, these testify of Me. “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
Jesus And The Father Give Eternal Life
- and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
- “This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.
- If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.
- If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.
Jesus Declares To Be God
- “I and the Father are one.” The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
- For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.
- See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,
Blasphemer’s Receive Death Penalty
- ‘Moreover, the one who blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him. The alien as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.
- “If a man has committed a sin worthy of death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree,
Jesus Defends His Claim
- Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? “If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?
Jesus Defends His Claim
- God takes His stand in His own congregation; he judges in the midst of the rulers. How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Vindicate the weak and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and destitute. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.
- They do not know nor do they understand; they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken. I said, “You are gods, and all of you are sons of the Most High. “Nevertheless you will die like men and fall like any one of the princes.” Arise, O God, judge the earth! For it is You who possesses all the nations.
- “You are to speak to him and put the words in his mouth; and I, even I, will be with your mouth and his mouth, and I will teach you what you are to do. “Moreover, he shall speak for you to the people; and he will be as a mouth for you and you will be as God to him.
Jew Understood We Could Never Be God’s
- “You are My witnesses,” declares the Lord, “And My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me. “I, even I, am the Lord, and there is no savior besides Me.
- ‘Do not tremble and do not be afraid; have I not long since announced it to you and declared it? And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, or is there any other Rock? I know of none.’ ”
Satan is the ruler of this world
- And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
Does Your Life Reflect Your Words?
- “If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.”
- Therefore they were seeking again to seize Him, and He eluded their grasp. And He went away again beyond the Jordan to the place where John was first baptizing, and He was staying there. Many came to Him and were saying, “While John performed no sign, yet everything John said about this man was true.” Many believed in Him there.
- Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.
- “I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.
Sermon-Based Bible Study Notes
1. Do you know for sure that if you were to die today that you would go to heaven? Why or why not? Read John 10:28-29; 6:39; 1 Corinthians 3:14-16. How should knowing for sure that you are going to heaven change your outlook on life and how you live it? Read Luke 12:4-5, 11-12.
3. Read John 10:34-36. Have you ever wondered what this text meant? Have you ever had a discussion with a Mormon and have they use this passage to defend their belief in becoming god’s? How does understanding that this means “judges” and is a quote from Psalm 82 help? Read Exodus 4:15-16. How does this relate to this passage?
4. God has called us to speak up on His behalf, for what He supports and does not support. As Christ ambassadors how has our silence affected where America is at today morally and politically? What are you willing to do to change this? Will you rely on, “it’s not my gift to speak up”, or will you overcome your fears and trust God?
5. Read Isaiah 43:10-11:44:8. How many god’s is God aware of? What words are used in these passages about God that also tie into Jesus?
6. Read John 10:37-38. Why does Jesus say they should believe His words? Do you believe people more by what they say or what they do? Where have you seen these things not line up? Would the people at your work or in neighborhood or family say that your life reflect your words? How would your life be any different if you purposely set out each day to show a life that reflects Christ?
7. Read John 17:20-21. How does, our actions in church influence our guest and others? What is the most spiritual thing you do? How much of your answer involves you receiving verses giving? What should the ratio be between giving and receiving? Which is better? What can you do to even out the ratio in your life?