Sunday Sermon on May 27, 2012 by Thomas Tate
1. Did you know what the “mission and vision” statement for Calvary (and really all churches) is? According to Matthew 28-20 what was Jesus mission (purpose) for His people?
2. What happens if each person in the church decides what the purpose of church is (fellowship, potlucks, traditions, feeding the poor, Bible studies, personal needs being met…)? What is the result or consequences of a church that is headed in many directions and not united on one direction? Can the leadership and pastor ever succeed in leading and be supported if everybody has their own definition of purpose? How have you seen this?
3. Read John 8:21 & 24. What is Jesus warning to the non-believer? Where will they not be allowed to go to?
4. What do you think of the statement, “if we as believers could see for a moment were non-believers are going we would do something”? Read Matthew 13:42; 25:41,46; Revelation 20:10. How is hell described and try to envision the reality of this? How does Revelation 20:10 describe the devils time in the lake of fire, is he the ruler of it or another prisoner? Does this motivate you to do something? Why or why not?
6. What is God’s commission and warning to us as stated in Ezekiel 2:10-11,16-19? What is the consequence to the non-believer if we don’t tell them about God’s salvation? What is the consequence for the believer if we don’t witness? When was the last time you shared with a non-believer that they need Jesus and why (not asked them to church or gave them a Bible or prayed for them but shared Jesus)? How does the verses in Ezekiel affect you? How should they affect you?