Sunday Sermon on April 15, 2012 by Pastor Thomas Tate
1. What insights, principles, or observations from this weekend’s message did you find to be most helpful or eye opening? Explain?
2. Read John 6:41-44. Why do you think Jesus responded this way to these grumblers? Do you ever grumble about doing things God’s way? Like returning kindness to those who aren’t kind (spouse, kids, co-workers, strangers)?
3. Some people have used John 6:44 as proof that God selects who will be saved, hand picks them? What would that mean if God didn’t choose one of your family members? Would it really be their fault they are not saved? How would that make you feel about God?
4. The word “draw” in Greek means – to draw without necessarily the notion of force. It is used by Jesus on the cross drawing by His love, not force. Read Jeremiah 31:3. Like fishing God lures/draws us with love but we must “take the bait”. How does this understanding help you understand this passage better?
5. Read 2 Peter 3:9. The promise talked about here is Jesus’ return. Why does Jesus patiently hold off His return? How many does He want saved? Does John 3:16 say God loved the elect, meaning only those chosen? Why doesn’t it say that?
6. Read Luke 13:6-9. How does this passage illustrate a drawing? Do you feel like God is trying to cultivate you for something in your life? How and what do you think it is? If not do you think God is done wanting to use you for ministry? Is there such a thing as retiring from being an active Christian?
7. In John 6:45-47 who has the opportunity to come to Jesus and have eternal life? If everyone has the opportunity to have eternal life what responsibility does that put on us as believers? Read Romans 10:12-15.