Sunday Sermon on March 11, 2012 by Pastor Thomas Tate
1. What do you think of the statement, “You can tell how popular a church is by its attendance on Sunday mornings. You can tell how popular the preacher is by attendance at a mid-week service and you can tell how popular God is by how many people show up for prayer meeting”? What do you think this person meant?
2. How does it impact your understanding that God lovingly and attentively awaits or desires our prayers? Read 2 Chronicles 7:14-16. What does it say about God’s eyes and ears? How can this passage relate to our personal lives and our churches life or success?
3. Read Ezekiel 22:29-31. What was going on and what could God not find and what was the result? How can this apply to our lives and the churches life? Is there someone (family/friend) that your praying for their salvation and that God would send a Christian into their life?
4. What do you think of the quote from Pastor Jim Cymbala, “If I say, ‘I ought to pray,’ I will soon run out of motivation and quit; the flesh is too strong. I have to be driven to pray”?
5. We as Christians often complain about prayer being taken out of the schools and that plays a part in the downfall of our society. But what about the church, we can pray freely but it’s much easier to get people to gather for a potluck than a prayer meeting. Why is this and how can we/you change this?
6. Read Acts 1:12-14 and 2:1-4. What was the early church devoting themselves to? Were they alone or together? Who showed up (emphasis is on who not what) as a result? What does this teach us as a church?
7. Read Acts 12:5-8 and 12:11-12. Share a time when you prayed with others and experienced God do something amazing in response to your prayers?