Sunday’s sermon on February 12, 2012 by Pastor Thomas Tate
1. Because Jesus was going against the religious establishment His life was being threatened (John 5:17-18). If you knew your statements would put your life in jeopardy what would you do, either before you spoke or after you saw the reaction? What if you knew speaking up about the truth of God would turn your friends or family against you, what would you do? What if it may cost you your job and maybe your way of life?
2. Read John 5:19. What was Jesus response? Who was Jesus looking to for direction and who’s pleasure was He seeking?
3. Who’s pleasure should we be looking to honor? Read Galatians 1:10. If we are trying to please people over God was does that say about us according to this passage? Why do we so often think of making people happy over God (often we don’t realize we are doing it)?
4. Bond Slave (doulos) = one who is in a permanent relation of servitude to another, his will altogether consumed in the will of the other. (Hebrew/Greek Study Bible). Discuss what this means to you? What does this look like?
5. Read Matthew 6:10. Will (thelema)=Will, not to be conceived as demand, but as an expression or inclination of pleasure towards that which is liked, that which pleases and creates joy. Nowhere, however, is it a name for the commands of God as such, whether in any particular case or in general. Rather it designates what occurs or what should be done by others as the object of God’s good pleasure in the carrying out of the divine purpose or the accomplishment of what He would have, that which he purposes or has purposed, what He regards or does as good. (Hebrew/Greek Study Bible). Discuss how this might change how you think of doing God’s will (beyond the commandments).